<VV> Throwing Stones at AMERICAN HOTROD

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Sep 14 13:04:04 EDT 2007

Not that I'm necessarily agreeing with Mark ;-), but it's a matter of
what an enthusiast would do versus what a TV show would do.

Let's say I want to build a nice full tube frame Corvair GT3 track car.
Would it make sense to start with '69 #5999 if I owned it? (Only out of
"such idiots' reach" thanks to Mark)  How about Darth Vair?

If you're going to completely rip a car apart and use the basic shape
and chassis number, there is absolutely no reason to start with a nice
or historically significant vehicle. Sure there are plenty of nice '28
Fords out there, so it's not like something absolutely irreplaceable was
destroyed... but for every nice '28 Ford out there there's likely 10
"not so nice" '28 Fords out there. Using such a vehicle would not have
hampered their project at all, would be the sort of thing a real
enthusiast would do, and would not raise the ire of "mailing list"
enthusiasts.

One of the Sunday morning hotrod show recently did something nearly as
stupid... they found a nice but overall undesirable "grandma" stripper
Nova and carefully turned it into a real Q-ship.... carefully
maintaining the stock bench seat, stock rubber floor coverings, etc...
they did a nice job putting together a real screamer that looked
absolutely stock. A real one of a kind. Full approval from an enthusiast
like me and a car I would certainly not be embarrassed to own.

Then a sister show took the Nova and threw a cheap nitrous system at it,
requiring a cheap fiberglass hood with a big bump in it... making it
look like every other cheapie hot rod out there... rendering a neat car
nearly worthless in my eyes.... Same basic theory.

People can absolutely do what they like with their property (whether an
individual or a business) but our right to be vocally critical of those
decisions is just as strong...

Bill