Corvair projects and dreams, was: <VV> Throwing Stones at AMERICAN HOTROD

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 14 13:54:28 EDT 2007

On that note, I'm still working on my LM wagon project. I have the car
mostly stripped down, and have a little more to take off before it's ready
for the body shop. I also have been gathering up trim parts, and have
almost everything I need except for a set of taillights. I am also looking
for just the right a/c condensor to mount in the front of the trunk, and
still keep the spare tire in the stock location.

The project car (as I call it) is a grade 5 in need of full pavement-up
resto. It has some rust damage around the windshield, and the right rear
quarter is damaged (have a NOS 4door quarter in stock). It was pretty sad
looking when I got it, but it is otherwise a sound body. I expect to have
to fabricate the entire rear greenhouse, in order to have it look right. I
was planning on using a Hornet Sportabout, but that just wouldn't look like
anything BUT a Sportabout.

It's going to be done as if the factory had made a LM wagon. (Here I go
again, making a custom car out of stock parts! - LOL) Plus there will be
some "what if" ideas thrown in. The most interesting item will be a "luxury
trim" interior, similar to what they had on the '67 Chevelle 4door hardtop.
That had patterned cloth seating surfaces that were repeated on the door
panels (similar to the '62 Monza cloth interior), and carpet on the bottom
of the door panels. There's a beautiful interior shot of one in the
Chevelle section of the '67 Dealer Album.

I have two photoshopped pics of the concept, and they are gorgeous. Now all
I need is for my money tree to sprout...... Hence, there is no timetable
for completion, since it'll be like "open wallet, look away"......

It all may end up being a dream, but everybody has to have one. :o)

-Mark