<VV> Throwing Stones at AMERICAN HOTROD

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Sep 17 14:45:37 EDT 2007

At 07:54 AM 9/17/2007, Bill Hubbell wrote:
>And yet, how many "nice, restorable" Corvair 4-door sedans have been gutted
>by Corvair enthusiasts for parts?
>
>Bill Hubbell

Don't get ME started...

I've already ranted about a damned-near PERFECT '63 900 sedan that a
nimrod I knew GUTTED for parts to resurrect a rusty coupe.   What's
more, to test out his new Saws-All, the moron cut bit V-notches out
of the rockers and B Pillars on the sedan which effectively ruined it.

His response:   "Well, it's nothing but a 4-door sedan."

...a 900 4-door sedan with hardly a scratch on it anywhere and
straight as an arrow, absolutely no rust... almost perfect red
interior.   Its only fault was dull red paint by "Earl S.") which
itself could likely have shined right up with some DuPont White
compound and a light buffer.   This car was potential show material.

Another example was the '66 500, white, beige interior, rust-free,
needed engine work (huge oil leaks) but otherwise quite nice outside
the splits on the front bench seat.  It had that odd maroon interior
paint scheme on the dash.    Bought for 150 bucks by an aspiring
hotrodder who wanted it for the front suspension but was too ignorant
to realize the suspension bolted in, so he *Torched* it out of the
car by cutting the unibody box members.    The rest of the car was
sold to my buddy Dallas Mangus who parted it out, seeing as how it
was pretty much ruined by then.    I ended up with the 3-sp Sag out
of that car...  I think it's still around somewhere.

I WISH I had a few of the 'Vair sedans I've seen cut up by uncaring
vendors or ignorant project "engineers" who cared nothing about the
cars other than some of the parts on them.

At least ONE of these cars didn't get cut up.

My '60 sedan was on the block for cut-up in the late summer of 1984
before I intercepted its demise by someone who wanted it for the gas
heater and the decent door panels and front bench seat.   The rest
was to be scrapped because "It ain't nuthin' but a '60 4-door 700."

It remains alive and well today, 105,000 miles later.    In a few
months, I'll have become the individual who has owned the car for the
longest time since it was built.

It has already passed the 22 year mark held by my first '66 Plymouth
Satellite (which took 9 years to replace).    Again, my '60 4-door
700 has a home with me for as long as I live.    Should I last that
long, I expect to still be driving it regularly when it's a
half-century old.   It will be 48 years old come mid-March of next year.

THIS is one Corvair sedan that won't be arbitrarily cut up for parts.

tony..