<VV> RE: Lookiing for FC wheel rims

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 19 23:40:20 EDT 2007

Ahh, the famous "Corvette" suspension -- from all appearances, it is
pretty much the same as every other fifties and early sixties Chevrolet
with an independent front end, so if anybody has any exact data, I would
love to hear it. Yes, spring rates were different, shocks were
different, and most Vettes (say, after '58?) ['56, at least, had a
straight axle] had a front stabilizer, but upper and lower A-arms and
balljoints were pretty much the same in the entire Chevrolet, Corvette,
and FC Corvair line.

Now, this rubbing the ball joint hooey -- ain't no way a 14" rim hits
that ball joint, and you aren't gonna get a  five hole 13" rim bolted
down tight over the brake drum.  What is a clearance problem IS the tie
rod end -- even a 16" wheel, if it has too much wheel hanging back
behind (inside -- call it back spacing, offset, width, whatever...),
they can rub or worse, not seat on the hub from interference with the
tie rod end.  Of course, this can be fixed with different/modified
steering arms (or a wheel that fits), but I think we were talking about
stock.

If you install a dropped spindle for say a '57 Chebbie on your FC, well
then maybe a 14" wheel will hit the ball joint, or maybe you could adapt
up some weird zerk fitting so it would rub, but normal stock, no way!
Yes, I believe FC's had their own special wheels, but numerous (not all)
other stock 14" GM wheels fit without interference, unless they are deep
enough to hit the tie rod end.

And, in the interest of maybe trying to get more info from other places,
I'm going to cross post this to Corvantics --

PS: I have a '61 van setting up next to a '63 rampy for visual
comparison -- the rampy's lower front control arms are bent though.

Thank you,

Bill S