<VV> RE: flywheel selection

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Thu Sep 20 01:15:48 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron" <ronh at owt.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:17 PM
Subject: Re: <VV> RE: flywheel selection

> "Solid - said to vibrate and likely to damage (crack) crankshaft"
>
> Did anybody ever tell Clark's about this?  They have been selling solid
> flywheels since 1976 according to their catalog.  Are you saying that
their
> solid flywheels vibrate and break cranks?
>
> RonH
************
Hi, I put a Clarkes solid in my 66 180 4sp ... it has a very loud " thrum"
at around 3500 rpm, which for a street car is a bad resonance area ( 60-70
mph ) .... Small Cars ( Mike Dawson ) in Kansas City played with this a bit
and reported that it was indeed very likely the solid flywheel that caused
it.  Especially since there seems to be a GM paper on the problem (g).

I never revved the 180 to 7000 to see if the 2nd harmonic came back in (g)

Just an anecdotal incidence, but it is very loud and a bit scary.  I guess
that it being located way back of my .... crotch .... is a good point of the
rear engine ... (g) ... I put about 10 K miles on that car, didn;t blow the
clutch .... yet ....

regards, ken campbell, deltawerkes