<VV> Spark plug gaps

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Sep 20 09:48:22 EDT 2007

>  Wide gaps require a hotter spark to bridge them.
>     But does anybody have any EVIDENCE either agreeing  or DISagreeing with
>my suspicion that our engines would work better with a  greater gap?
>     Frank "questioningly" Burkhard

Early 'stock' ignition systems used a small .025 through .036 gap, depending on
factory specs.  The spark was usually around 30,000 volts but at a relatively high
amperage.  It was the 'hot' amperage that eroded the plugs so quickly.  High
voltage systems generally make double the voltage or more ... but at a fraction of
the amperage.  The spark is capable of jumping a much greater gap at the plug and
the lower amperage allows the plugs to last much longer.  The down side is the
high voltage / low amp systems do not clear themselves well after a flooding condition.

Ken Pepke