<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 32, Issue 76

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Fri Sep 21 10:40:10 EDT 2007

At 13:39 9/20/07 -0400, Bill S wrote:
 >>previous question<<
> >I'm wondering where I got the idea that early and late FC suspension was
> different. Any clues?
> >

>The later FC crossmember possibly doesn't have holes to mount the
>shifter parts down there for the early FC's, and since I'm not too
>familiar with the through the tank late shifter, maybe there is
>something for that that is different ...

The mid '63 to '65 FC crossmember does not have the holes and weld nuts for
the shifter.  Instead, it has a "dent" (for lack of a better term) in the
upper section to provide clearance for the shifter tube.  I tried to use an
early '63 crossmember when I rebuilt the front suspension in our '65
Greenbrier and discovered this minor but significant difference.  I assume
that the crossmembers would be interchangeable for PG equipped vehicles.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI