<VV> Quality

Shaun McGarvey shaun_mcgarvey at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 22 23:44:47 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Corbin" <airvair at earthlink.net>
> BTW, one of THE major weaknesses of the early model Corvair was the lack
> of
> wheel well liners. Every car that has lacked them (early Corvair,
> Maverick,
> early Vega, etc.) has had a horrible reputation for having the fenders rot
> off, and understandably so. Which is one of the areas in which the late
> model Corvair is far superior to the early design. Just like another post
> mentioned the "eyebrows" on the EM. Proof positive.
>
> -Mark

I call "B.S." on that one, Mark. The inner fenders welded all along the
wheel lip a la LM is the cause of most of the worst rust appearing on Late
Corvairs. It's a moisture trap. How many LMs have you seen with rust-outs
all around all 4 wheelwells? I've seen lots. It structurally compromises the
car too. Most Early rust happens in non-critical structures and is more of
an inconvenience than a serious concern like say, a rusted out cowl, or
rockers.
I accept that anomalies do happen and some Earlies have structural rust but
this is my opinion after 30 odd years of observation in a mostly wet
climate.
Early bodies are better.

yea, Vairily ... Shaun