<VV> Engine mods for a period look questions ( FITCH & Yenko)

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 23 20:49:38 EDT 2007

I would like to have my engine look, like it would have if a younger person
of that time period had bolted on some items to get a little more HP.

I checked to see what Fitch and Yenko (stage1) did and it pretty much was
the same, except Yenko used headers.  Basically it was individual air
cleaners and crank case breather, tuned exhaust on the Yenko and trombone
exhaust on the Fitch, belt tensioner on Yenko and also modified linkage.
Fitch and I'm sure Yenko also, advanced the timing.

These seem to be the simple kind of things a kid would have done to his
Corvair for more HP. I've got the trombone exhaust from Clarks, the carbs
are rebuilt and matched, but I'm confused as to what the chrome air filters
looked like from that time period?  Also how did they hold them on?  Is it
the same method they use now, which sounds to me like they could vibrate off
if you aren't careful?

Also what did they do with the spare tire, since it doesn't look like it
will fit overtop of the carbs and the individual air cleaners?

Does anyone have any of these original air cleaners, in good shape, they are
willing to part with?

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member