<VV> stroke

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Sep 24 22:42:19 EDT 2007

At 02:23 PM 9/24/2007, JVHRoberts at aol.com wrote:

>I thought the OHC 6 block was unique?

So did I.   It's my understanding that the OHC 6 block has no
provisions for a camshaft, lifters, or pushrods.

>I do understand that a 292 crank can
>be made to fit it, however.

That I didn't know...   :)

It's kinda one of those "corporate" cost saver things, kinda like how
a 454 crank will drop into an old 409 block if you turn the mains
down 1/8 or so and relieve the block a tad.   You end up with lots of
cubes and a ton of torque with the right cam.

Of course a lot of Pentastar folks looking for torque and cubes use
the ever-popular B-engine 400 ci block and drop a 440 crank into it
after turning the mains a little bit...  451 inches with all factory
parts except the pistons which are available from several
manufacturers for cheap, relatively speaking.   Easy to get 500 hp
and 500 lbs/ft with an idle you can live with in the church parking lot.

It would have been refreshing if the Corvair crankcase had been just
a little more spacious to allow some extra stroke without having to
resort to alchemy...

tony..