<VV> Assembly Question for the Pros

ChiefTAM at aol.com ChiefTAM at aol.com
Mon Sep 24 21:16:33 EDT 2007

OK, I am going to pose an assembly question, and I would appreciate no  "read
the book" answers.  I can do that, and as a matter of fact, I got out  the 65
Assembly Manual, the 65 Chassis Shop Manual, Tech Guides 1 & 2,  Basics
Manual, and several other of my books and they are sitting by me right  now.  I
will go through them.  What I am looking for is some advise  from those more
experienced, not necessarily by the book, but who have done this  and learned the
little tricks.

As I wait for the 110 hp motor to get rebuilt, again, (Please, really look
into the type of oil you use!) in my 69 Monza Convertible, I have decided to
see  if I can finish my 65 Corsa Turbo Convertible and get it on the road
first.  It has been sitting for a number of years due to all my moves and  building
the house, but other than putting in new pushrod tube seals, replacing  the
gas tank with a newly sealed one to get a clean place for gas, and checking
the carb (and maybe having rebuilt again) from sitting for several years, the
powertrain should be ready to go.  I am also going to replace all the  brakes,
putting in new wheel cylinders, springs, pads, hoses, lines and a  rebuilt
dual master cylinder.

The paint and body work is all done, and much of the outside chrome  and
emblems, along with the lights are in.  My question lies with the  interior.

The windshield is just sitting in the frame, and the door windows are in  and
roll up.  Nothing else is in, but obviously, everything is there, most  of it
new and ready to go, including all newly recovered seats, new carpet, new
fizzies, top seals, new door and rear quarter panels, new dash pad, etc.  etc.
The dash is out, as is the radio, glove box, and all controls.   Kick panels
are out, as are the vents.  Door handles have to go in, as  does the remote
control drivers side mirror.  The top is on, but not  attached in the area behind
the seats, which is bare.  The floors, doors  and everything inside that
isn't painted has been covered in POR-15.

So, what I have is basically a 65 Convertible complete interior that needs
to be assembled.  My questions deal with in what order do I start  putting it
back together?  Does it matter?  What I don't want to  happen is I start with
one thing, and then find I was to do something else  first and have to redo.

I can see putting everything in the dash, and then putting in the
windshield, as I don't think anything there impacts anything else.  Then,  I would guess
I start with the carpet, then doors, door panels, rear  quarter panels, then
maybe vents and kick panels, top, and finally seats and  seat belts.

Am I out of order, looking at this wrong?  Any suggestions on  something that
needs to go in before something else that I am  forgetting?  I appreciate any
feedback, as I haven't done this much  before, and it has been a long time
since I tore it apart.

Todd in Texas (still Group Red)
65 Sierra Tan Corsa Turbo Convert.
69 LeMans Blue Monza Convertible 110/4
69 Monza Convertible 95/4 rusty parts car