<VV> high performance engine oil

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Sep 26 13:04:32 EDT 2007

At 04:52 PM 9/25/2007, mark at noakes.com wrote:

>Sounds like you can't trust what any oil company will do at any time
>even if it's good for the moment.

There's one that will tell you what's in their oil.

>Overall not very encouraging since over the next 5 years I need to
>rebuild several vintage engines...all of which are flat tappet...
>Corvair TBD for my 66, 58 GMC 270 6 cylinder, and the twin cam for the
>Lotus.

...read on.

>But these are only the API specifications that the oil must meet (to
>retain
>the API's authorization). There is no way to identify the actual
>content
>without constant and expensive lab testing.

Well, if the manufacturer has done the testing and posted the data, you can.

>Also BTW, the amount of zinc in any oil is NOT specified

At least one manufacturer (Brad Penn) *does*
specify zinc content in their oil.

>and is only
>there as a result of the Phos being added via the ZDDP.

http://www.amref.com/bp_product_pgs/BPengoils.htm

The data sheets specify the amount of zinc, both
concentrated and compounded, in their oils.

Also:   From the Brad Penn race oil site:

 >In addition to our unique base oil cut,
increased concentration of “zinc” (zinc
dialkyldithiophosphate a.k.a. ZDDP) provides
outstanding anti-wear/anti-scuffing protection
for engines employing either ‘flat tappet’ or
roller cams.  BRAD PENN® Penn Grade 1® Racing
Oils have been evaluated by a number of premiere
camshaft manufacturers with tremendous success.
Many are now recommending our Penn Grade 1®
racing oils to provide outstanding protection for
their ‘flat tappet’ or roller cams. <

...It's that 'green oil' us old street racers
lived by back in the early-mid '70s.      I used
it exclusively in a rather tortured 426 engine
that was flogged mercilessly on numerous
occasions and it never broke, nor did it suffer
sludge etc.   I have a lot of respect for this
engine oil.   I changed out a Crower Monarch
(rather rough) cam after 4 years of running, for
something milder, and the Crower came out looking
almost perfect, polished but nary a scuff or a
scratch, lifters also looked nice.    When I
acquired the cam, the guy behind the counter said
"If I were you, I'd break that cam in with green
oil."   That's how the  bunch referred to the
GT-1 race oil.   Point was moot, I'd already been
running green oil before I uprated the cam in
that engine.   This engine also had some serious
valve springs that would allow it to rev past
7400 rpm before the valves would float, and
that's buzzing pretty tight for a 426.   No stem
galling, no pushrod cup damage, no rocker issues,
never had any problems with any hard-contact
friction points in the engine, ever.   Can't argue with success.

By the way:   Brad Penn also offers a special
break-in oil, straight 30 wt, specifically
intended for use in new, overhauled, or upgraded engines.

tony..