<VV> More Stubborn Lifter Woes

Steve Brennan Alohaz at ca.rr.com
Sun Apr 6 03:10:10 EDT 2008

Well, I tried every suggestion that came my way (thank you all, they were
very smart suggestions).  Alas, none worked, so I finally decided to drop
the pan and push the lifter out from the inside.  Yeah, right!  Even with
the pan off, this lifter was not coming out.  Granted, it is almost
impossible to get anything to grip the lifter to encourage it on its short
journey (even needlenose vicegrips couldn't hang on), and I still have the
original style lifters, so there is no outer lip to push on with a small
screwdriver.  Ultimately, I admitted defeat and buttoned everything back up,
figuring I will try a clean batch of oil with a quart or so of  ATF added
for good measure and hope for the best.  If that doesn't work, Seth
suggested cleaning the bore with some Chemtool or Gumout to soften up/clean
off any ancient deposits.  This makes a lot of sense (I didn't see Seth's
email until after I put everything back together), especially given how the
lifter would seize up in the bore whenever I would get it past its normal
length of travel.

So, if anyone has any other suggestions I should try if the oil/ATF doesn't
work (I was able to confirm that the inner spring in the lifter is still
good, as the inner piston was clearly spring loaded), please pass them
along.  I will pick up one of the lifter pullers in the meantime (although
it looks as though I will have to remove the left log in order to have the
straight line clearance to use such a tool).

Thanks again,

Steve Brennan

1962 Spyder Coupe