<VV> Tricks for removing stubborn lifter

D. Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Sun Apr 6 09:21:57 EDT 2008

Steve,
    With the lifter pushed against the cam lob, look if there is a brown color on the exposed end of the case stem. Burnt oil tends to form a layer on this area (and in many others) which prevents lifter to come out easily. If this is the case, remove this layer with lacquer thinner (or any other good solvent) and cotton swabs before attempting to pull that lifter. First rotate the camshaft to allow the lifter going in to deepest position. It worked for me years ago, hope it works for you.

Daniel Monasterio

<<Does anyone have any tricks for getting a stubborn lifter (#6 intake)
through its hole in the block?  I have tried some pretty strong magnets, but
to no avail.  I can feel it slide forward a bit, but then sort of seizes up,
like the hole gets too tight.    I don't see how to use a wire to pull it
out, as suggested by one of the books, so I am now at a loss.>>