<VV> Muffler hanger pads

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 6 11:03:19 EDT 2008

After our Corvair club meeting last night, I drove to my brother-in-
laws to pick up my son and when I walked behind the car I noticed
that the passenger side muffler was hanging low.  Sure enough, the
rubber square that is used on the stock hanger had separated near the
bolt holes that are closest to the strap that sits on the muffler.
To say that I'm little perturbed that this would occur after less
that fifty miles of use is an understatement.   I was able to get
some speaker wire from him and while working in the apartment parking
lot, strap the muffler in place by running the wire through the
hanger brace holes where the pad is attached to both braces.  So for
the second time (first because this happened to the FLAPS hanger that
I used to buy time to acquire the correct hangers), I'm using speaker
wire to keep my muffler from destroying my exhaust log or dragging on
the ground.  I need a solution that I can use with the stock hanger
brackets that will take the place of the rubber pads and provide the
same support and (I suppose) flexibility if that is necessary.  I
will be mailing the broken pad to a popular right coast vendor.

Stephen Upham

P.S.  The radio seems to be working most of the time now.  I think it
is happier with TWO working speakers.  I still want to use the
contact cleaner method to try to clean up the volume control
contacts.  I went to the Radio Shack last night to get some.  Got
there at 8:37, closed at 8:30. May try again today if they're open -
close by.