<VV> More Stubborn Lifter Woes

larry at forman.net larry at forman.net
Sun Apr 6 13:57:46 EDT 2008

OK, here are the best tips I have found so far with this issue:
1. Steve Goodman suggested using a heater control wire or piano wire with a kink in it (maybe using a torch?) and cut off so that it has a small hook inserted into the center of the lifter.  You can really pull with one of those, although I liked the tooth pick idea also.
2. Then use the BEST super penetrating solvent you can find.  I really like Seafoam Deep Creep as it seems to work better than anything else.  Not cheap at about $8 for a can, but really worth it.
3. Keep pulling and pushing the lifter to scrape a little more of the crud off each time.  You use the super penetrating solvent, wait, push and pull, move it back in and repeat.
4. Note that most magnets, even the rare earth ones are less weak than an electromagnet over driven with current.  I have had good luck with using a red colored plastic enclosed electromagnet, normally powered with a small 9-volt battery, but connected to a 12 volt car battery for extra current.  Still, the piano wire approach worked best with the solvent.
5. Dropping the pan and using a screwdriver from below helped in seriously frozen lifter situations.
6. Note, that with time, these will eventually work.  Keep the faith!

Larry