<VV> external oil cooler

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sun Apr 6 21:53:38 EDT 2008

Although the '66 up condenser isn't mounted directly above the
engine, it *is* mounted in the inlet, so the air that cools the A/C
then passes through the engine, just like the earlier ones.  In fact,
the later setup does a much better job of ensuring *all* the air goes
through the condenser.

While I'll agree that the cooling system is not capable of handling
the engine at full throttle non-stop on anything besides an 80, it is
perfectly adequate to cool the engine powering a Corvair car (the FCs
are a different matter) under normal circumstances in most of the
U.S. - I'd like to know where the idea that it isn't comes from.  The
small amount of heat added by an oil cooler is quite small and isn't
going to make much difference to the overall temp of the engine, but
the effect of having cool oil is tremendous.

Having said that, good oil and a good stock cooler should be
sufficient for a Corvair.  It's worth asking what problem we are
fixing by adding the cooler in the first place.

--Bryan