<VV> Autocross at Indy

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Sun Apr 6 22:48:53 EDT 2008

How things change in a week.
After mother nature crapped on us last week, we finally had a wonderful ?day for an autocross. About 65 nice and shiny degrees--perfect for racing.
? Indy Region drew at least 105 entries at it's "fun" solo at 16 th street. Part of that group caravaned down from Fort Wayne.
?? Kudos for Phil Wheman for a great course design. I just LOVED the big top of second gear sweeper ?at the bottom of the hill! It's fun and a challenge to get the back end out just enough to steer directly into the inside of the following slalom.
?? There were lots of tight excruciating/challenging sections for the masochists as well.?
??? It was great to see all of my friends after a long winter.
? I've heard people complain about standing around working the course at Solo events and what a pain it is. I see it entirely differently. I get a chance to watch my friends drive the course and try different lines. I also get to watch how different types of cars react to inputs; for example how the 4 wheeldrive , high horsepower Rally cars literally just jump sideways in the direction the wheel is turned upon? big power application.
?? But most importantly, I get the opportunity to meet new friends with the same interests while working corners; this time it was Kelly and Adam.?A lot of time, at serious track events, the socializing kind of gets left out.
?? My Corvair ran well for a change. The larger Weber carb was a little boggy out of tight spots--just a jetting problem. The new larger brakes helped a lot and I noticed that the larger/sticker tires made launching a little more trouble--so they must work.? The clutch problem? seem to be fixed also. The downside to modified cars is you can't test before? the? event and must fail or succeed very publicly. The up side is the great adrenalin rush when all goes well. I believe that I was 2nd overall by about a tenth.?Congrats to the S2000.
?? Michael (Levair Performance and Restoration) LeVeque ?was trying out his recently prepared Super Duty Fiero in X Prepared and did very well for a first time running in a new strange car,?with a first place. .
?? I again made it to church on time with a huge? grin on my face. I'll? bet they wonder just what I've been up to.

Warren