<VV> Corvair and their lack of appeal

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Thu Apr 10 10:31:34 EDT 2008

Amen, amen and AMEN!  Russ, I will quote, below, your original post  almost
in its entirety because it is so (as they said when our cars were newer)
"right on" and because it bears repeating.

I think we, as a club, should encourage anyone with good Corvair mechanical
skills and any inclination, to go into business as a Corvair mechanic.  At
the very least, clubs should list on a regular basis the names and phone numbers
 of members willing to work on Corvairs on the side for a little extra  cash.

~Bill Stanley

<it's hard to find anyone
who can or will work on them, it dawned on  me that maybe that's why they
haven't caught on with the mainstream car  people.

I work with several people who have bought old cars who have  never turned a
wrench in their life and they all bought mainstream cars, one  a 67 Mustang
V8 and the other a 57 Chevy *snip*  The one thing  about both these cars, is
that they can and have
taken their cars to local  mechanics to have them worked on.  *snip*  Then I
started looking  at those car owners at the local
cruise-in and I would venture to say that  probably more than 50% of those
there don't do any kind of mechanical work  to their cars.  About as far as
the work they do is cleaning them for  the shows and I know a few of them
even have somebody detail their cars for  them.

So here we are with the Corvair, that for most engine parts you  have to send
for and then wait and then once you get them, unless you are  one of the
fortunate few who have a Corvair mechanic near you or a club that  is into
working on each others cars, you're going to have to do it  yourself.  Most
of you enjoy doing this, but there are many more car  people out there that
don't know how nor want to work on their cars and once  they find out about
this with Corvairs, they are going to look for something  else.*snip*
Russ Moorhouse>