<VV> LM - EM temp donor questions

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Thu Apr 10 19:24:29 EDT 2008

Rex asked:
I have a spare trans (pg) and diff in storage (66) and a 62 with a 80 hp
sitting in the driveway.  First question, can I mate the 80 hp to the 66
tranny and diff ?  My plan is, if this will work, to remove the power train
from the 65 and temporarily replace it with the 80hp + 66 tranny & diff set
up.  The pg in the convertable has had a pretty nasty fluid leak that we
have been unable to find while in the car.  Thought if the temporary
transplant would work that we could rework both the engine and tranny at the
same time.  If this combination will work are there any special concerns to
be aware of ?
TIA
Rex

Craig replies:
Yes, you can power the 65 with the 66 transaxle and 62 engine.  You'll have
to spend a full day swapping parts (all of the sheet metal, the alternator
adapter and alternator, rear engine support, and the torque converter flex
plate.) Leave the bell-housing as-is; it's specific for the engine. The 66
diff will fit fine, though you'll need to either swap the side yokes or find
66-type bolts & straps for the u-joints. The 66 diff doesn't have a dipstick
but that's not a problem. The trans will work without any parts swaps. To
repeat one thing: Use the bell housing and flex-plate from the '62 engine,
164 CID flex plates have a deeper "dish" than 145 CID engine flex plates.
HTH,
Craig Nicol

Checked by AVG.
12:23 PM