<VV> Lack of Appeal: Movies & Racing

james rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Sat Apr 12 12:00:40 EDT 2008

All:  Interesting observation about the movies.

Another contributing factor is racing at various levels.  The factories
supported, with money, parts and engineering support, pony cars and muscle
cars of various sizes in Drag Racing , SCCA's TransAm and NASCAR.  Lots of
"Race on Sunday, sell on Monday" efforts.

Corvairs never had real factory support in any form of racing.  There were a
two events for compact cars in '59/60 where there was some factory
participation.  Don Yenko possibly got some creative financing when he
bought 100 Corvairs at one time in '65. Does that count as "Support". But
other than that?  Maybe some rally's in Canada?  Doug Roe had some
encouragement with his car, but nothing else we know about.

So how many non-Corvairs were sold and dreams made in racing?  The results
of non GM support for the Corvair in motor sports ripples thru the car hobby
to this day.

Historically Yours,
			James