<VV> REMOTE AIR COMPRESSOR more ramblins

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sat Apr 12 17:38:54 EDT 2008

my 7hp air compressor is in the attached garage separated from the house by
a 17ft breezeway. it is plumbed with 3/4 in copper to the cellar and 3/4 and 1
 inch copper to the new shop building 12 ft away .  i ran soft copper in
black plastic pool tubing between the buildings. i ran wires in another , and
pex inside another for water supply. the bonus of all this is a biggie:   the
noise is in the garage away from everything. all my air lines are inside the
walls and ceilings so i hope all my solder joints hold up...i have 2 quarter
turn gate valves in the lowest parts of the lines to drain off water. i added
another 100 gallon tank in the shop in a wasted corner along with another drain
 valve.i put in lots of drops with mostly those orange windup hose reels from
 harbor freight.
so far i love the whole concept. i am still afraid of plastic of any kind
for air lines. i have a 1 inch quarter turn valve in the wall along with a large
 gauge to shut the building off if needed. i put a steel flex line rated at
500lbs in the line right at the compresser with another gate valve just in
case.  the only thing i have not done yet is a remote relay to turn it on  and
off from the shop or cellar.  coming soon.
i have a lot of hours on this system the last couple months with great
results.
only thing i would have changed is the compressor itself , i wish i had
spent a little more for a better unit , slower rpm industrial type.
that's my take on a remote location..a darn smart idea!  make sure the
compressor oil is ok for cold weather use.(synthetic?)
regards, tim colson

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)