<VV> wiring (slight change of subject)

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Sun Apr 13 22:13:30 EDT 2008

Guys,

The Corvair uses the 56 series terminals & connectors.

I've found a source for them at a very fair price. See this web link:
http://wirelm.com/

He has all the plastic connectors and metal crimp terminals from one
terminal through 6 terminals. You have to call him on the phone to order
them but he shipped them to me the next day, even before he got my check in
the mail.

I found that my Radio Shack number 276-1595 crimp tool (about $10) makes
nice factory-like crimps. I even like it better than my $100+ AMP crimp
tool; I seem to have better control. Be sure that you crimp twice; Once for
the wire and again for the insulation. Use two different parts of the
crimper so you don't over crimp the insulation.

I have used nothing but those connectors throughout my car to make any new
wiring look as stock as possible, even on my stereo.

[SNIP]

Charles asked:

How do you get those dadburn housing connectors out that connect the wiring
between the harnesses?

[SNIP]

Procedure for removing a 56 series crimp terminal from the plastic
connector:

The male terminal (in a female plastic connector) has two barbs on each side
that "click" into the plastic connector. Using a small blade screwdriver,
like a jeweler's screwdriver, carefully bend back the barbs on each side of
the metal blade terminal at the terminal end (opposite the wire). Pull the
terminal out of the connector by the wire.

The female terminal (in a male connector) has one barb on the center,
bottom. Look into the connector end (the end away from the wire). Notice
that the terminal has a U shape to it with a "tongue" in the center. The
"tongue' is the top of the terminal. The tang is on the bottom of the
terminal. Using the same small blade screwdriver, push in and up to bend the
tang up into the terminal. Pull the terminal out of the connector by the
wire.

If you intend to re-use a terminal, be sure to bend the barbs or tang back
out of the terminal so they can "click" back into the plastic connector.

If you don't have a small enough screwdriver, take a short cut-off of a
clothes hanger. Pound one end flat using a hammer on your vice anvil. File
or grind it to the proper width.

Dave