<VV> Brake system questions

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Apr 15 12:37:37 EDT 2008

Answers in line:

On Apr 13, 2008, at 10:12 PM, Dave Thompson wrote:
> Hi guys,

< snip unfortunate past :-) >

> Upon disassembly, I found that the right front, front shoe had a
> crack all
> the way down the center of the shoe lining with large chips
> missing. One of
> the rear axle shoes (I can't remember which) have some chips out of
> the
> lining. All other shoes look new and are in good condition.  All 8
> shoes
> have a red painted "Bob's Brakes" on them. I see gobs of "glue"
> squishing
> from under the linings from the bonding process (Poor quality
> remanufacture?).  The drums all look newly turned and are in great
> shape,
> well within the specified thickness.

I think you're right to suspect Bob's workmanship.

> I will be replacing all four shoe sets, including new spring
> hardware kits
> using a major name brand manufacturer. The rest of the system was
> re-built
> by the previous owner a year or so ago. All the wheel cylinders
> look new
> with good rubber and no leakage. The updated dual master cylinder was
> installed with good craftsmanship and the fluid looks new. All the
> steel
> body lines and rubber body to wheel lines look new.

Sounds like a good plan.  If the fluid is normal DOT 3 or 4 you might
want to flush it every couple years.

<snip>

>  I am unable to find any pictures of the parts
> breakdown.

I think you can find a good drawing in the assembly manual.

> Do I just put the "T" cup on the shoe with the adjuster and nothing
> under
> the other hold down spring?

Stock as I recall is the T cup for the adjuster and an ill-fitting
washer under the other side.

> What is the possible cause of the shoe lining cracks and chipping?
> Poor
> quality shoe lining?

I'd suspect that.  The lining has been overheated, and usually cheap
linings overheat.

> What lubricant should I use between the shoe and backing plate? I
> plan to
> sparingly use white lithium grease.

I use disc brake grease.

> Sometimes when I drive away after having the E-brake on, the rear
> brakes
> seem to drag for a half a mile or so. If I stomp on the brakes they
> retract
> and do not drag. Will the new spring kits fix this or is there a
> return
> E-brake spring that I haven't found yet that needs to be replaced?
> I will
> follow the "green book" to properly adjust the E-brake when I do
> the job.

I think the new return springs will fix that.  It could also be the
cable needs lubricating.

--Bryan