<VV> Brake system questions - Thanks for the help!

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Wed Apr 16 03:52:15 EDT 2008

Hi guys,

Well, the brakes went on without a hitch (I thought they would). I WAS
missing the E-Brake return spring. Now I know what that new bagged spring
was in the box of parts that I got from the old owner. It is now installed
and I aircraft safety wire tied it, just for the heck of it.

Once I opened up the new brake spring kit baggies, I found the two flat
washers (hold-down springs) in question. I also found an extra plus; the
front bearings seem to be new. They are now all de-greased, inspected and
re-greased. The rear axles turned smoothly and quietly so it looks like the
rear bearings and U joints are also new.  I wasn't looking forward to the
price of new rear bearings.

It sure is nice to not have to fight the steering wheel every time I come to
a stop!

Now I'm off to investigate the slop in the steering. It looks like it will
be a worn out steering box. The adjustment screw is all the way down into
the lock nut and I still have too much slop (according to the green book).
I'm considering a new quick steering box, any opinions? The front end parts
under the car all look new and tight.

It's interesting to see what some people call a "Totally rebuilt car" in
sales ads. Most of his work was done with great craftsmanship. But here and
there, I am beginning to find some of his shortcuts (cheap brake shoes). No
matter, I DID purchase the car for a new project! AND I got my 15-year old
out in the driveway to help! Great fun!

Thanks sooo much for all the input that you guys sent me. I know I have
simple questions but I'm getting back to working on real cars from 20 some
years of disk brakes and ODBII error codes. It's good to get back to the old
stuff again.

She's two weeks on the road and I'm having a blast!!

Dave Thompson

63 convertible Spyder (that stops straight-hands off)

Westminster, CA