<VV> tire size - availability problem

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Wed Apr 16 06:12:08 EDT 2008

On Apr 15, 2008, at 6:02 PM, Ken Lundy (Home) wrote:

> I need to replace the radial tires on my 64 Monza.
> They are P175/80R13.
> I’m discovering that nobody makes this size anymore.
> Are any other sizes (possibly wider) available that would work?

As has been suggested in this forum previously, to find a given tire
size, I suggest you simply Google the size, i.e. enter "175/80-13"
into Google with the quotation marks as shown.

Be careful that you only consider tires that are designed for
passenger car use, as opposed to trailer use.

The size tire you use is your business, but you should know that
175/80-13's are smaller in diameter than original 6.50-13's were.
6.50-13's were used on all 1960 through and including 1965 cars with
the exception of Lakewood station wagons. Lakewoods and 1966-1969's
used 7.00-13's. All FC's used 7.00-14's.

As for other sizes that would work, 185/80-13's are about the exact
diameter of the original 6.50-13's and will be a better size for those
looking for a tire of original diameter. 185/80-13's are also
difficult to find, but there appear to be some still around.

As for yet other 13" sizes, simply look for the tallest 13" tire you
can find (largest in diameter). You might run into a 205/70-13, which
again is a little small in diameter but does have more section width
and is close to the 6.50-13's.

Other sizes, such as 195/70 or 185/70's really get to be pretty small
in diameter, although some are happy to run them.

There recently was a nice late convertible on ebay running some small
tires. I e-mailed the seller who said they were 185/70-13's, the best
size he could find. Boy, they looked tiny on that car! Perhaps you saw
it on ebay.

If you want to abandon the 13" sizes, as the automobile manufacturers
have, you can move up to 14" wheels and if you look you can find some
205/70-14's that are the same diameter as the original 7.00-13's. For
your early-model you could look for some 196/70-14's.

Of course, if you wish, you can buy original bias-ply 6.50-13's from
one of the antique-type tire manufacturers like Coker tire. They are
about $125 each but are very original.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer, CORSA South Carolina