<VV> Electronic fuel pumps

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 18 13:42:10 EDT 2008

Chris,  Some folks use an electric pump (unlikely to be in the tank - but
could be) simply to prime the carbs (fill the carb bowls) in situations
where the car has not been driven in a number of days.  They then run on the
mechanical pump (a switch somewhere to turn off the electric one).

If that is the setup you have, you would not want to take the mechanical
pump apart.  I don't think you want to do that anyway.  At least I can't
think of a reason to take the top off.  Seems like it would just create a
big fuel leak.

It is possible, if you did pump the gas peddle several times, that you have
flooded the engine with too much gas since every time you push the peddle a
squirt of fuel is ejected from the accelerator pumps in the carbs.  If you
have flooded the engine, the starting procedure then becomes - hold the gas
peddle to the floor and do not let it up.  Turn the key for a few seconds.
This might take 3 or 4 tries.  Do not let the gas peddle up between tries.

Eventually, it will cough a few times and may start to sputter when it
begins to run on 2 or 3 or more cylinders.  Keep the key turned to start
when this happens and in another couple of seconds, the engine will fully
start and the RPMs will come up rapidly.  Now you let off the gas quickly,
but may have to "feather" the throttle for a moment or two until everything
evens out.

Now, if the car had been flooded and is now running you need to take it for
a good ride to get the engine warm and burn off the excess fuel which has
likely made it to your crankcase.

OK......  While I was writing that, I received your latest update.  Suspect
areas for fuel starvation (or air getting into the main fuel line) are the
rubber hoses - one (maybe 2 for your electric pump) near the tank and a
second (third?) one above the left rear axel.  Of course, the mechanical
pump could be the culprit, but I suspect not since you have the electric
one.  Yes, the "stones" in the carb inlet are the only filters on a stock
system.  Has the timing slipped?  Some folks (like me) make the bolt on the
distributor tight enough to hold it in place, but not so tight that it
cannot be bump - moved as desired.

Later, JR

CCE CORVANANTICS CORSA SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110