<VV> No fuel flow - was Electric fuel pumps

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 18 22:24:34 EDT 2008

Hi Chris,

There is a "right" way which involves removal of the tank and a "temporary
and possibly insufficient" way which does not.

How much gas is in the tank?  Have a sufficient size catch can on hand and
DO NOT use an incandescent drop light around the gas.  See if the gas will
drain (gravity and gas cap removed) by having the front end up and remove
the rearmost end of the rubber hose at the tank from the main line through
the tunnel area.  You should be able to direct the flow using the hose which
is still attached to the tank.  If no gas flows, then either the tank is
already empty <GRIN> or the "sock" is plugged.  DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner
or other sparky electric motor around gasoline!  Again - if no flow at the
tank - and it would then appear that the sock must be replaced, you could
likely run a wire up there and poke a hole in the sock OR simply blow it off
with compressed air (gas cap removed).

A plugged sock should be replaced, which means you will at least need that
AND the gasket for the sending unit.  If you like tools, you probably want
the correct tool for the sending unit as well.  So, once the sending unit is
out, you will see where the sock goes on the end of the pickup and you will
also be able to wipe some of the grime out of the tank.  This is the
temporary and insufficient method mentioned above.  While the sending unit
is out, test it for accuracy.

The removal of the tank (should you decide to do it the right way) also
involves replacement of the filler neck hose, the overflow and/or return
line hose.  It also requires some agile (small helps) fingers for
reconnecting hoses between the top (metal) portion of the filler - and the
tank.  Several cleaning methods - such as gravel or chains inside - and
turning over and over and....so on have been used.  Once all the rust is
gone, the tank needs to be coated inside with the appropriate sealer.

Then there is the...  WHILE YOU ARE THERE part of the job.  Since it is
virtually impossible to replace the RF steel brake line without removing the
tank, any time the tank is out be sure to replace that brake line.

This has been a synoptic version of what has to happen.  Others may have
further or more detailed suggestions.

Back ache.  If you know that you will be over the engine compartment for
extended periods, it helps somewhat to raise the car first.  My tools (or
parts) generally find their way to the "hell" hole - below the balancer.  So
far, I've managed to stay away from the fan.

Later, JR