<VV> Cylinder head temp thermister

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Apr 19 17:28:21 EDT 2008

Dave,
    Since nobody else has resonded yet, I'll give it  a try.
    Since the thermistor is screwed into a hole in  the engine, there should
be nearly ZERO resistance between the outside  thermistor threads and engine
ground.  Think of the thermistor as a  variable resistance (varies inversely
with temp) in series with the CHT  gauge.  +12 to +14 volts goes in one end of
the wire to the gauge, out  the other end of the gauge, through a long wire in
the tunnel to finally  connect to the center screwed tiny terminal of the
thermistor.  From  there it goes through the varying resistor of the thermistor to
the outer  shell and through the threads to the ground.  If I remember
correctly,  the resistance of the thermistor at room temp is around 8000 ohms and
drops  considerably as the temp increases.  So at room temp this high resistance
 allows only a minimal amount of current to flow through the gauge barely
moving the needle.  As the temp increases, the resistance decreases,  allowing
more and more current to flow thereby raising the reading on the  gauge.
    Good luck and let us know what you find.
    Frank "resisting change" Burkhard

In a message dated 4/19/2008 4:52:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,