<VV> 13" tires, Vol 39, Issue 81

Crawford Rose crawfordrose at msn.com
Sun Apr 20 15:35:22 EDT 2008

I'm using the Coker 185/80-13 inch whitewall Silvertown radials on my 60
coupe.  These are very good tires and I highly recommend them. The problem
as with most things Corvair is the high price. These are $150 a tire and so
a set of 4 is 600 dollars. Most on the list are looking to spend a 160
dollars. Another option for blackwall is the Coker repro of the Michelin X
radial which was contemporaneously recommended by Fitch. The thing about
that Michelin X option in addition to the even higher price is that the
tirediameter is an inch greater than the 185/80 because is a 7.00 x 13 inch
size.  Probably most appropriate for a Monza wagon. The 60s original tread
pattern of the Michelin radial is a little dated looking these days, too.
So, there are options for Corvair tires but you have to spend $800 or so.
Who would do such a thing when one can buy new 14" wheels and tires for a
lot less, right?
Crawford Rose