<VV> Bias vs. radial

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Tue Apr 22 15:48:19 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/22/2008 8:06:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
airvair at earthlink.net writes:

Pardon  me for being skeptical. Sure, I drove Corvairs on bias plies for
years. But  after going to radials, my buddy and I have many a time remarked
to each  other "how'd we ever drive on those things?" The answer is that we
just  didn't know any better. I think that if the Corvair had had radials
from  the start, some Corvair accidents would have never happened, and maybe
the  Corvair wouldn't have attracted such ambulance chasers as  Ralphie.

Ralphie was looking to make his name by legislating control of the car
manufacturers--there were plenty of other so-called mistakes (all of which the
makers quietly took care of by having the owner bring his/her car in for "free
service") but he didn't mention that, just "Those horrible car makers, they
don't care if they build cars that can kill."
GM made the mistake of hiring a PI to find out more about him because he  was
an unknown factor (they'd never heard of him) and he found out and screamed
about invasion of privacy (he's a lawyer, after all, trained to present a
client's viewpoint to their best advantage) and, addressing his outrage to the
press and Congress, who are mostly lawyers themselves, got himself some good
publicity and the automakers some bad publicity.
The last few years, he must not be doing so well; he's after more publicity
(the "green" movement.) At least, he did us one favour, he took votes away
from  Al Gore; regardless of what you may think of Bush, Gore would try to take
our  cars away from us.

Scotty from Hollyweird

listings at AOL Autos.