<VV> Was "Installing a radio in a Corvair", now improving speaker performance

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed Apr 23 12:31:59 EDT 2008

Steve asked:
Having read the very knowledgeable postings on the proper way to wire stereo
speakers, I have a follow-up question.  On my EM I have replaced the
original dash speaker with an aftermarket two channel (stereo) speaker.  It
works fine, but is a little "weak" compared to the two 6x9s I am running in
the back.  I am considering bolstering the front end sound by adding two
additional speakers using the kick panel vent mounts offered by CU.  If I
were to do so, can I just run extension wires off of the dash speaker to the
new side speakers?  (Or is it preferable to "T" the front channel lines, so
that each line splits and then goes to the respective speakers?)  My stereo
has 50w per channel, so I think the power is available, but some of the
postings I read got me wondering if running two speakers off of each front
channel line would do any damage.
Thanks,
Steve Brennan
1962 Spyder Coupe

Craig replies:
Check the output specs on your radio.  If it's 2-ohm capable, (most are 4
ohm minimum), you can parallel them safely.  If the lower limit is 4 ohms,
use a cross-over that routes the higher frequencies to the center speakers
and the lower frequencies to the presumably larger second set of speakers.
The crossover keeps the radio amp happy.

One thing you might also do while you are in there is to completely seal the
center speakers so that the top is isolated from the bottom. Any sound
coming off the bottom of the speaker is the opposite of what's coming off
the top side.  If there's ANY leakage where air can get from bottom to top,
the two signals cancel; resulting in reduced sound volume. As a rule, the
back of a speaker that produces mid-range or lower sounds must be either
fully enclosed, or sealed from the front with the back ported to another
space or delayed to the front. (That's what "Ported Bass Enclosure" means.
HTH, Craig Nicol, former radiohead

Checked by AVG.
8:12 AM