<VV> Jacking Under The Drivetrain; 1964 Suspension

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Thu Apr 24 17:33:07 EDT 2008

I am a little late reading the posts so I don't know if this has been
addressed already.  However, here goes .... On all Corvairs other than the 1964 cars,
100% of the rear weight is supported on the rear coil springs.  The 1964 has
a leaf spring IN ADDITION TO the existing coil springs.  The majority of the
rear weight of the 1964 cars is still supported by the rear coil springs.  The
leaf spring was meant for stabilizing the car.  I don't know what the weight
support ratio is between the coil and leaf springs but please do not rely on
the motor/transaxle mounts to support the vehicle weight on any Corvair.  The
1964 mounts are different but probably should not be trusted especially if they
are getting a bit aged.

Doc
60 Corvette
61 Rampside