<VV> Cannot shift into fourth gear

Bernie Livengood bernielivengood2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 11:40:30 EDT 2008

If you don't find problems with excessive play or wear on the shift linkage back to the shifter input shaft!  Then you'll have to look internally starting with the internal shift shafts (3).  Then look at the 3-4 shift shaft interlock pin detent balls and spring for broken or excessive worn pin or balls that can cause binding and stoppage when shifting.  Then the next thing to look at that can cause your problem is a broken spring in the 3-4 synchronizer hub 4th gear side that puts pressure against the 3 synchronizer keys (camelback shape) ref fig 7B-11 in the service manual 64-65.  This broken spring causes the keys to relacks and not allow the shift collar to move the direction you want.  Then their is always debree from worn or broken components that could lodge between the synchronizer hub and the gear brass blocker ring or shift collar.  You can look at some of the shift shafts and synchronizer hub, shift collar, pins and blocker rings through the
 side access plate while on the car to see if their is anything really obvious going on. A knowledgable manual transmission person could detect something 0bviously out of order through the access plate.  One other thing, disconnect the car shit linkage at the transmission, and try to shift the transmission in all gears from there using a long rod that will fit through the imput shaft. That's probably the first step in all of this.  Don't hesitate to contact me if futher info is needed!  Bernie