<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 39, Issue 115

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Wed Apr 30 20:24:36 EDT 2008

Sure, I'll argue this.  A half wave rectifier eliminates 1/2 of the sine
wave (top or bottom, I don't care).  Think series diode that only passes
the upper portion of the wave.  A full wave rectifier is essentially a
frequency doubler that utilizes both halves of the sine wave.  The full
wave rectifier is easier to filter due to its higher frequency wave and
has a higher rms voltage (assuming the same peak voltage).  The half
wave rectifier waveform is a hump followed by an equal gap; full wave is
continuous humps with no gaps.

Dave Keillor