<VV> 140 heads MY opinion

iscdirector iscdirector at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 21:48:34 EDT 2008

Tim, my research findings have led me to believe the same thing you are stating here concerning lifters and valve adjustment. I firmly believe that many Corvairs are being driven around with valve trains that do not work well and it seems to be very common with rebuilt motors. This is one of the main causes of valve seats falling out, as well as other problems, but of course it is not the only cause. I thought for a while that it might be because we can't get "real" Corvair lifters anymore but I changed my mind when I realized that GM changed in 62 to using the same lifter they were using in V8's and straight 6's (see1962 P&A catalog) and did away with special valve springs for Corvairs. But here is the bottom line, if you connect a handheld vacuum gage to your motor and the needle isn't steady at idle no matter what you do to carbs, tune, or valve adjustment then you have valves that are being held off their seats by the lifter and the heat from
 the valves is not transferring into the seat. This does not allow the seats to heat as quickly as the head. The head heats up quick because it's aluminum and the valve seat stays cold and then looses its interference and falls out or is sucked out by the intake stroke. This is why many valve seat failures happen after the car has only been driven a few miles and the motor is not even up to full temp. The bad aspect of the thicker, over size seats being put in many heads today is that the larger mass takes more time to heat up so it can exasperate the problem. The key is valve train that works like it should.
Dan Kidder
Daytona Beach FL