<VV> 140 heads MY opinion, lifters and springs

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Aug 3 12:56:48 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/2/2008 8:40:33 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
iscdirector at yahoo.com writes:

Which am  I mistaken about?

Well, Dan,
At the risk of repeating what I said, there is confusion, if not a mistaken
view, in your  following references. I'll try to explain below.

You said:
"I thought for a while that it might be because we can't get "real" Corvair
lifters anymore but I changed my mind....... "

Bob replies:
Fact is that we can't get "real" Corvair lifters and haven't been able to  do
so since the early 1970s. So changing your mind  based on what you saw  in
the P&A was "mistaken" in my opinion.

You continued:
"....when I realized that GM changed in 62 to using the same lifter they
were using in V8's and straight 6's (see1962 P&A catalog)

I continue:
If you had followed the use of different replacement lifters for Corvairs  in
all of the years 1960 thru 1980 you would have seen a whole parade of
different and strange lifters being specified in the P&As. So to cite just  one
year's P&A as representative is to just take a snapshot of what actually  was
being specified. They changed the P&A listing regularly. Are you  familiar with
the differences between the 3799644 HL-39 lifter and the 3799644  HL-20 lifter?

And as stated before, you can not use the P&As to tell you what parts  were
used in production. So looking in the 1962 P&A and drawing inferences  on
production use is not an accurate method.

Regards,
Bob Helt

Read reviews on AOL Autos.