<VV> Corvair Olympics

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Sun Aug 3 13:10:14 EDT 2008

Never have I been so tired--slept until 10 today after getting up at 4:30 for 3 days--or had so much fun!!

The Olympics was every thing expected and much more.
Maybe it CAN happen again.
?We had hot but dry weather every day. Every one had huge smiles on their faces--especially Billy Bruce.
There were troubles of course--we ARE greatly overstressing our old cars.
??? There were so bad instances of trouble with flexible fueled vehicles. Did you ever wonder how Diesel fuel would work in a?Corvair?
?? The owners of all of the sites were thrilled at our friendly but competitive attitudes.?
Putnam park was the prettiest, cleanest, road course of all and it could be seen in it's entireity as a spectator.
The "Taste of the Track" was a huge success. It never hurt a bit that my son Michael whomped on every one. and all of the LeVeques ran up toward the top--how great is it to race/play with your sons?
?? I had not been to the Drags in 30 years. It was great de ja vu. We had several fun side by side close runs offs.?
Billy was the fastest Corvair of course. Some of the best fun was actually in the slower classes.
? The autocross was a modern day miracle. We only got the new site about 1 1/2 weeks before the event.
It only? was pulled off because of the wonderful Corvair people volunteers.?THE PEOPLE VOLUNTEERING TO HELP WAS THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY WEEK.?Thanks to all !!!
?? We also got a "Taste of the Track" in fun runs at the end. I hope that this was the most Corvair friendly course ever. Can you recall what the design motif was?
?? A special plus at the autocross site was the car show put on by?Circle?City?Corvairs.?Charlie Bremer won best of shop with his 64 Spyder. Thanks again to Tom Miller of his organizational help.

? Another nice touch was the "Friends of Corvair" folks that showed up. These were Corvair folks without Corvairs who participated and helped.?
?? Notable were Rob Fike who now runs Porsches, who ran with us and worked all day when not running.
Jim?Vickers, who drove his recently acquired Porsche Spyder?Speedster clone (soon to be Corvair powered) in all of the events.
? And Ray Zabenski who drove a Horizon, and worked as chief of all events. Ray got the "Tweety's Choice" Award.
?? The?Worker Angel Tweety went to?Roberta Oneill.
?? I feel very sorry for all who missed these events and couldn't be with their extended Corvair family.

Warren

??