<VV> Report from Corvair Olympix

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 21:53:11 EDT 2008

After a few runs on the strip my Stinger had a strange groaning sound coming somewhere from the back while making the turn around. It didn't seem to effect my drags runs so I continued on.
?? During the autocross, I had some brain fade and did some stupid dnfs, but some of the dirty runs were simply not being able to turn the car in at speed and acceleration. I just simply mowed down?border ?cones if I was agressive at all. On the last run I reluctantly disciplined myself to slow down and made a clean run--I hate that.
?? Sunday I barely moved, but Monday I jacked the Stinger up and checked the differential.
The posi was mechanically locked, No amount of effort would make the posi slip. It was just like a locked axle.
?? Sooo I spend the rest of today putting in my autocross specific transaxle . I needed to anyway because I'm entered in the Central/Great Lakes Divisional? Autocross Championship this weekend at Grissom AFB.
?? It's?in and operating now. I'll?check it out this fall when I'm bored and rested.?
30 years ago at Muncie Dragway, I broke a clutch, apparently its a diff this time---any ideas about what's actually wrong?
?? The rest of the week is all piano gigs, but I'm ready to race. .

Warren