<VV> Corvair Drag Racing (2nd Attempt)

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Aug 5 21:46:01 EDT 2008

Andy,
    How much HP do you think it took Tom Keosababian's  Corvair to run over
170 mph at Bonneville??
    Frank Burkhard

In a message dated 8/5/2008 9:32:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
asuter at buckeye-express.com writes:

I had a  thought... (scary, I know)
After reading some interesting articles online  and in an issue of Hot Rod
Magazine about Volkswagen Bug drag racers, it  occurred to me that I'd never
seen a 'Vair making anywhere near the power that  these VW guys are. There are
videos all over YouTube, too. This stuff is  crazy! 500, 600, 700 horsepower
from 2600cc (and smaller) fours!
What  gives? They're working with powertrains eerily similar to ours and
they're  down 2 cylinders, you know? Some of these fellas are doing with a stock
crankcase, even (and they're surviving!). Is it our lack of aftermarket
support that hinders us? Granted, these guys are playing with lighter cars,  but
shouldn't we be able to hang with them? Or is it just that nobody is  trying it
yet?

Thanks,  everyone!
-Andy

Read reviews on AOL Autos.