<VV> Do I need to prime fuel pump/fuel system?

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Tue Aug 5 23:54:10 EDT 2008

Jedd,

Three things .....

1.)  Is your car on an incline.  In effect, is the  front where the fuel is
lower than the rear where the fuel needs to go.   This shouldn't matter but I
have heard that sometimes a pump that has been  allowed to completely dry out
needs a little help getting fuel to wet the inside  flaps the first time.  If
the car is inclined the wrong way, try switching  it around or jacking the
front up.  Obviously, be careful the vehicle  doesn't slip off whatever you have
raised it with if you are jacking it  up.  You may want to fill the tank if it
is too low.  What we are  talking about here is the highest level of fuel in
the tank as compared to the  level of the inlet to the pump.

2.)  Again, if the insides of the pump have dried out,  you may want to pull
the pump and squirt or pour a little bit of gas into the  inlet and outlet to
prime it and wet the flaps.

3.)  The rubber coupling in the line may have developed a  crack or two.
Blowing on the gas line at the rubber connection or in the  engine compartment
could still create bubbles in the tank but still leak just  enough air that the
weak suction from you pump can't pull the gas  through.

4.)  I have heard that a used pump that has remained dry  too long can be
ruined and be unusable thereafter.  If you are sure that  your lines are clear
and intact, you may need to replace the pump or perhaps  borrow a know good pump
to test the theory.

Good luck,

Doc
60' Corvette, 61' Rampside, 62' Rampside, 64' Spyder coupe,  65' Greenbriar,
66' Canadian Corsa Turbo Coupe, 67' Nova Super Sport, 68' Camaro  Ragtop
In a message dated 8/5/2008 11:36:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  10