<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 43, Issue 21

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 7 16:51:27 EDT 2008

> > On Aug 5, 2008, at 4:27 PM, P.H. Raker wrote:> > > > > Hello, all you ignition experts,> > > I'm finding a situation with my 'Brier> > 110/4 that puzzles me. > > > Much of the time it runs wonderfully. BUT,> > occasionally it will > > > start pinging and knocking like someone has advanced> > the timing by > > > about 15 degrees. Of course, when that happens, it> > also gets very > > > gutless - will hardly hold a steady speed. If I can> > downshift or > > > coax it up to 3000 rpm or more and hold it there for> > about 10-15 > > > seconds the problem usually seems to clear and it gets> > smooth and > > > quiet again.> > > It has a Pertronix 1 installed. Is there> > something going > > > crazy in the Pertronix unit? Is it something else? I> > can't think > > > what else it could be.> >  Hi Phil-
    I Have never heard of an electronic points replacement system miss-behave like
    that, but to eliminate that possibility, put the points and condensor back in temporarily.
    Also, check the vaccum actuator to be sure that it will actually hold a vacuum.
    One other possiblity, is that you actually have a intermittent fuel blockage to one
    of the carburetors- this can be checked by shutting the engine down during
    the pinging event, and carefully remove all of the spark plugs and check them
    for color. Im betting that one side of your engine will have plugs that are white,
    and the other side brown indicating a partial fuel blockage to one of the carburetors
    . If they are all white, that is also the source of your problem, and your fuel system
     needs to be gone through to find the
    intermittent blockage.
    Kevin Nash
    63 efi spyder> > > > > End of VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 43, Issue 21> ********************************************