<VV> Carb repair update

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 7 18:30:23 EDT 2008

Got the carbs reinstalled and the car started right up.  I drove it
to the meeting and it was fine.  After the meeting, the new fuel pump
started to make its "woodpecker on metal" pumping sound that it makes
when it is having trouble getting fuel to pump.  I have spacers on
the rear springs and they seemed too high.  I reset them to lower the
rear a little.  The problem with the noisy fuel pump went away.  I
set the timing to twenty degrees advanced and rebalanced the carbs
using the Unisyn.  It ran great on the highway for about twenty
minutes last night.  Today I drove it to the doctors office and the
bank.  By the time I had driven about ten minutes on the highway, it
started to act like it needed slightly more throttle than the
previous few minutes.  I made it to the doctors office.  After the
doctors office visit, I backed both mixture screws out one full turn,
and the idle speed screws one full turn each.   It seemed to smooth
the rough idle.  While driving to the bank, it started to act lopey
again in idle, but ran, though not completely smoothly.  When I got
it home, I took the left air cleaner off, and it was dripping out of
the venturi again!  I've got a pressure regulator on order that is
the same type offered by our right coast vendor.  If that doesn't
cure this dripping carb problem, I don't know where to go next.  BTW,
the specs on the NEW fuel pump are as follows:
A  NAPA Posi-flo
12 volts, 1.5-4 PSI, 25 gallons/hr. , compatible with all fuel
additives, eliminates vapor lock,  no flooding insures restart on the
hottest days, two wire design
Made by Belkemp, Incorporated

Stephen Upham