<VV> 1965 CORVAIR DASH PADDING COLOUR?

DTerry8123 at aol.com DTerry8123 at aol.com
Fri Aug 8 09:46:52 EDT 2008

Carl wrote:
Clarks Corvair Parts have provided me with samples of three  (3) different
shades of red for the padded dash on our 1965 Corvair. They are as  follows:

"LG" BRIGHT RED
"LZ" MEDIUM RED
"LY" DARK RED

The  dark red ("LY") and the medium red ("LZ") both look a little to dark to
me, but  I it may look this way on a small sample. The bright red ("LG") on
the other  hand is brighter than the red upholstery and is perhaps incorrect.

I say  the light colour may not be correct because it's my understanding that
padded  dash trim in GM cars from the 1960s always matched the cars interior
colour, but  was always a slightly darker in colour than the dash panel.

Dan replies:
My 1965 Corsa, built in Willow Run and purchased in 1966 (I am the  second
owner) with red interior, has a padded dash that is darker than the  rest of the
interior. I recovered the original dash pad around 1977 with precut  material
from Clarks. It matched the original very well. I would have to  see the
samples that Clark has to know which is the best match.

Dan Terry
1965 Corsa 140 coupe
Corvair Atlanta

Read reviews on AOL Autos.