<VV> Powerglide Problems

Jim Danner alias_unknown_2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 22:58:57 EDT 2008

I just replaced a side bearing in my 65 Monza.   Dropped the engine, replaced the bearing, put it all back in.  Been running around for almost a week...this evening it stopped shifting out of low gear.  I had to creep home at 30 mph.  Obviously I screwed something up putting it all back together (which kills me to admit--i'm sure i followed instructions in the repair manual to a T.)  Anybody have any possible solution that doesn't involve removing the power train again?  Any ideas?

I'm desperate.  This car ran like a top except for the bad side bearing.  And I've only got two weeks to whip it into shape for a long trip from Washington State to Tennessee.  I'd hate to have to leave it behind...

I don't have a lot of money (saving for the trip) but I've got two manual transmissions.  One out of a 63 convertible and one from a 61 coupe.  What are the possibilities?  How difficult would it be to convert my auto to a manual?  (Scavenging clutch, cables, etc. from the other 2 cars?)

Thanks in advance...

Jim