<VV> Freeing a stuck seat post (NO CORVAIR)

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sat Aug 16 12:09:39 EDT 2008

Mark Sheridan wrote:
My bicycle has an aluminum seat post in a steel seat tube. While looking for
a creaking noise, I discovered that I forgot to use anti-seize in this
situation, because the seat post won't budge. Has anyone found a way or a
chemical that will break that bond? I've been shooting PB Blaster on it
everyday for weeks and it still won't move. Heat is out of the question
because it would ruin the paint and I can still ride it the way it is. I'd
just like to get it freed in case I do want to adjust it for some reason.

Craig replies:
If you really want it loose, I'd create a fixture to clamp to the seat post
and use a slide hammer to pop it loose. If you made the fixture well, the
seat post shouldn't be damaged.

Craig