<VV> voltmeter reading--overcharging

PatioMatt at aol.com PatioMatt at aol.com
Sat Aug 16 20:36:57 EDT 2008

_corvairduval at cox.net_ (mailto:corvairduval at cox.net)   writes:

To confirm the calibration of your voltmeter (ie to determine if the 15
to 17 volts you read is accurate), read the voltage on several cars with
the engine off. The volt meter should read around 12.6 volts if the car
was driven in the last day. If the car was just shut off, sometimes it
reads near 13 volts.

Harry is right, a real 15 to 17 volts is too  much on a charged battery.
Check or swap out the regulator.

Frank  DuVal
John McMahon  wrote:

Electrickery is not my friend, so before I go horsing
>around blindly, I thought I should seek wisdom.

John, as you said the batteries were both at 12.3 vdc... make sure you  drive
this car for 10-20 minutes,,,,, or use a battery charger OVERNITE   before
testing again...

We know you did a lot of cranking!

Thanks for being honest about your abilities...  then we don't  take " it for
granted"

Matt  Nall
All Vairs!
_http://members.aol.com/patiomatt_ (http://members.aol.com/patiomatt)
somewhere  between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay.  OR.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.