<VV> Importance of seat belts

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Aug 17 21:09:30 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/17/2008 1:10:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
airvair at earthlink.net writes:

Therefore, I think that maybe this is a good opportunity for CORSA as  a
club to lead the way in requiring working seat belts for all passengers  in
ALL vehicles that are entered in any of its events. I think it would  allow
something positive to happen as a result of this  tragedy.

-Mark

In 1990, I was helping a member of our local club get his 1960 Corvair
running corectly at the Corsa Convention in Ontario, CA. He needed a small part
from a local Auto Parts store. I went with him to the store sitting on the right
 side of the bench without a seat belt. Nothing happened, but I felt almost
naked  riding without one. In case anyone doesn't know, Corsa (via our
insurance  carrier), requires seat belts in any car in the Autocross competition,
along  with a helmet for the driver and any passengers. The Corsa Concours rules
specify that belts may be added to any car not originally equipped with  them
- with absolutely no scoring penalty. Perhaps the Rally and the  Economy run
rules (moving events) could have the seat belt rule added. I don't  remember
which year that belts became standard, at least in the front. I  wouldn't have a
car without them. I would be interested in hearing any opinions  or reasoning
on why they shouldn't be used. I do agree that a belt would have  probably
had no effect on the woman's injury, (based only on the photos) but a  belt
would have kept the driver in place, perhaps reducing his injury. Oh, and  as far
as personal rights to wear or not wear a belt, that is your  responsibility,
until the possible liability ends up in the Corsa organization,  then it is
ours. One other note - The likelihood of any injury at a Corsa event  is much
higher for any event on a public road, than on a controlled,  designed surface
such as an autocross. - Seth Emerson

Read reviews on AOL Autos.