<VV> So how come you don't wear seat belts?

Mike Jacobi mvjacobi at comcast.net
Mon Aug 18 12:48:33 EDT 2008

When I was in the military back in the early 60s, we were required to
install seat belts in our personally owned vehicles.  And nearly all of them
were aftermarket add-ons, (mostly JC Whitney).

No belt, no car on base...and if you had an accident without wearing the
belts, you could expect dicipline after you healed.  So we got used to the
need for seat belts pretty quickly.

I've been a seat belt fanatic ever since.  My 63 vert has lap belts from
Clarks.  My 58 VW has them too.

However, as good as they are, I think the reason that some of us Americans
don't use em is our dislike of being told by the Gubament that we "HAVE TO
HAVE EM AND USE EM"  We like the illusion of independence.

I think that if the government told us we 'HAVE TO" take free money, we'd
complain about that.

It's the HAVE TO we hate.  So we make up silly reasons for not wearing the
belts.  Haven't we all heard the "...I'd rather be thrown free of the car"
argument.  Or the "what if the car goes underwater and I can't get out"
line.

Oooops...gotta go to the store......CLICK.

Mike in Michigan  (currently here in San Francisco wishing there was a vair
event somewhere close by)