<VV> broken bolt blues-

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Mon Aug 18 19:10:53 EDT 2008

snipped and bottom posted

From: "Keith Hammett" <keith.hammett at stainlessfab.com>
Subject: <VV> update no gen light

Went back through the connections on the alt and discovered that I had
switched the #1 and #2 on the alt.  All is good when connected right.

Next project is to remove broken e-z-out and broken bolt from gas pedal.
Soaking in PB blaster, one would think that since it drips from the
threads on the back side it would come out.

Keith Hammett

'62 rampside

I find bolts that break mostly are LOCKED in place by the low density iron oxide that swells up larger than the gap that existed between the male and female threads.
bp1.blogger.com/.../s400/Toad+in+the+hole+2.JPG

That EZ out is tinier than the bolt by a good bit, thus pretty weak despite being made of fancy steel.
About the only time they work for me is if the bolt broke from abuse, not rust seizure.
The powerful temptation to use EZ outs on broken brake bleeders is S*T*N's work.

Sometimes chemicals can soften the rust a little, and impact helps too, but what always works for is heating the bolt up some color of red, so the STEEL swells up and crushes the rust, so it will wind out fairly easily with a deliciously pitiful creaking squeak as things are cooling down.

Dan Timberlake
Westford, Massachusetts, USA